Monday, March 17, 2008

Gardening.... Where to start.

My two biggest goals for now are learning to garden, and to effectively recycle. Now these goals probably seem silly to some... put seeds in dirt.. water. Right?

Hmmph.

My parents ALWAYS had a garden, I was never real fond of the things they grew, but their gardens gave them a lot of pride, and us a lot of food. So I have a resource, in fact, dad just mentioned the other day that I need to be planting tomatoes indoors right about now if I don't want to have to pay for plants.

Dad's very 'into' tomatoes, I hate those suckers. But wait..

I was just reading about some gardening workshops that are to be happening in Portland, that I can take kids too... My kids would love that!

Not that we won't learn plenty from grandpa, but we're very interested in organic gardening anyway, so it can't hurt. It's $5 per person, so hmm, I don't honestly know if that's 'frugal' (goal number three) or not, we're going to have to work on that frugal thing, I just took a taxi to and from dads house for $70 the other day.. 2 bux would have gotten me on a bus.

Anyway, Lexi my six year old absolutely loves outings, I'm already absolutely teaching her to be wasteful like me. So this will be fun, an adventure, and as for those tomatoes..

Planning a Dinner Garden; Pizza, Salsa, Salad, & Taco Gardens!

Saturday, May 3rd, 10:30-12:00pm
Wednesday, May 14th, 5:30-7:00pm

Parents and children will walk away with fun ideas and supplies to grow their own food in gardens specially designed for making fresh pizza, salsa, salad, or tacos!


Perhaps there's a use for them after all! Though according to dad, May's to late for the Tomatoes, going to have to ask about that when we check out this earlier event..

Planting the seeds for your garden

Saturday, April 5th, 10:30-12:00pm
Wednesday, April 16th, 5:30-7:00pm

Parents and children will learn the basics of how to start seeds, care for them, and when to transplant them to have a summer full of fresh vegetables.


Doesn't that sound like fun.. exactly what I need! I'm so excited! I'm going to plant a half of yard full of squash! Though I'm going to look prettttty funny traveling along on the bus with dads rototiller..

Food for thought.. I don't just want any garden, I want a garden like Florence, who lives near dad would grow, ultimately, an organic garden, with lots of color, and flavor, that looks good and works with my yard. The kind of garden that uses the rocks to airate.. not rows upon rows of sweet corn.. though I do want some sweet corn ;)

And.. I want to try some international things as well. . . for instance, my friend from Ethopia gave me some bread like food, it's eaten with nearly every meal where he's from appearntly..

I'm honestly not even sure it was legally brought into the United States, but.. someone brought a root from Africa, and this bread like spongy round food that my friend Sammy loves, is now available in DC.. wouldn't it be neat to be able to grow that here... wonder who I'd have to write to get a root ;) .. anyway.. a little excited, getting a little ahead of myself.. and off to read about .. tomato seeds, and dinner gardens, I'd never even heard of those before today.

No comments: